Sunday, October 14, 2012

CO

Went for nusco concert today. Somehow, everytime I see Mr Lum, it would bring a smile to my face. Maybe cuz its how I get to recall those co days when I see mr lum. Those stern comments he gives us during co practices that made us such an awesome CO back then. RVCO2004, Gold (with honours). Those were the days, that we sweat (from carrying the instruments), bled (from beating the drums too hard), cried (well, the girls).

But somehow, you don't feel that about NUSCO, nor mr lum's rvco nowadays. The last concert I went before nusco concert was the rvco one at the new campus. Somehow, you just feel that the co is not able to achieve the standards of mr lum. Or rather, perhaps his expectations have dropped over the years? There's no standard of perfection when you listen to an orchestra that he conducts anymore.

I still remember why I joined RVCO. It wasn't because my sister was from the percussion before I joined. It wasn't because I thought percussion was cool. It was because of the SYF I saw, the 1999 SYF which my sis participated in. For that year, they actually had a video tape that they sold for all the SYF performances. It was in that tape, that I saw how awesome Mr Lum's conducting was. I wasn't mesmerized by how individuals performed, but by how the orchestra seemed to be in sync. And that trademark ending pose that Mr Lum used to have, which out of my four years in RVCO, he only used it once while conducting us. It was simply amazing. And the reason I wanted to experience CO under a conductor like him. Although in the end, it turned out to be Mr Low taking over RVCO, but the 4 years were probably the best CO years of my life. And the best performance? Year 4 cultural night, that solo piece I had, the one that I practiced every day after school, so much so that whenever I started playing, people knew it was me in the co room. And of cuz having her dropping by just to watch me practice, b4 we broke up that is. Then that sweet night on the concert day itself, that moment that I fell in love with my second. Well, I digress. But the performance was simply awesome. The Long Teng in year 2 for the first rvco concert was pretty awesome too, the strength of rv perc was shown there. The many hours of practices we had.

Till this day, this song still reminds me of the glory days. Was finding the song, but saw this one that made me LOL. How fail can the perc be when they need the conductor to bring them thru the first part. I still remember I was the one who led the perc all thru the front part.



I'm kinda tempted to join NUSCO, just to play some drums again. But, somehow, some stuff are just holding me back. Firstly, FYP, the pure amount of work that I'll get myself involved in would just be too much for me to handle. Secondly, that Razer app development competition would take up another bulk of my time. Thirdly, EE4702 would probably kill me with its project next sem. Coupled with the fact that I intend to return to TKD training at the end of this sem, I don't see myself having time for CO practices. But well well, we'll see how things go. If I can manage my time properly, who knows.

No comments: